In 1870, a group of Wesleyan ministers met in Sherbrooke and agreed to build a college in the Eastern Townships. Stock sold at $25 a share, with the hopes of raising $20,000. Whichever community put up $10,000 would be home to the college.
Compton was ready to put up $10,000 but Stanstead offered $15,000. The Wesleyan Conference approved the project for Stanstead College in June 1871.
Construction began in the fall of 1872, with the cornerstone being laid on December 2, 1872 and the College incorporated on December 24.