Perched on the banks of the Tomifobia River, the Stanstead College campus is located in the heart of the Town of Stanstead, population 3,000, and a five-minute walk from the US border. Scroll below to learn more about our facilities.
1. Bugbee House
Bugbee House is the junior boys residence. It opened in 1958 and was named after Dr. and Mrs. A.G. Bugbee who donated the building that served as the Bugbee Business College from 1894 to 1957 near where the present residence stands.
2. LeBaron Hall
LeBaron Hall houses the school’s dining hall as well as classrooms and a reception area. It opened in 1968 and is named in honour of F. Gordon LeBaron, chairman of the Board of Trustees from 1952 to 1961.
3. Colby House
Colby House is the College’s main academic and administrative building. It also houses the junior girls residence, the school library and a lounge known as the Reading Room. The building is named in honour of the Colby family, whose involvement in the school goes back to its founding.
4. Davis House & Pierce Hall
Davis House is the senior boys residence. It is attached to Pierce Hall, the school’s auditorium. The original Pierce Hall was destroyed by fire in 1951. The residence and hall opened in 1958.
Webster House is the senior girls residence. It opened in 1991 and is named in honour of the Webster family, longtime supporters and benefactors of Stanstead College.
6. Holmes Model School
The Holmes Model School is the College’s oldest building, constructed in 1903 through a donation from the Holmes family. It served as the elementary school for local children until 1952. Today it houses classrooms for Art and Humanities, a pottery studio and the school’s laundry and Nearly New Shop
7 & 8. Amaron & Mackay Gymnasiums
The Amaron Gymnasium opened in 1965. It contains facilities for basketball, volleyball and badminton and includes a viewing gallery, change rooms and a weight room. It is named after Rev. E.C. Amaron, the school’s longest serving headmaster from 1931 to 1954.
Philip Field is used primarily for soccer and rugby and is ringed by a quarter-mile gravel track. In 2000, it was dedicated to Alex J. Philip, an alumnus of the school, longtime teacher and coach and former athletic director. There are five other fields for games and practices. Our tennis courts were resurfaced in 2016.
10. Pat Burns Arena
The Pat Burns Arena opened in the spring of 2011. Owned by the Town of Stanstead, it is managed by Stanstead College and named after NHL coaching legend Pat Burns, who maintained a home in the region for many years prior to his death in 2010.
Gallant House is named after Barry Gallant, who was headmaster from 1980 to 2000.
12. Health Centre
The Health Centre offers basic medical care with a nurse on duty 24 hours a day and a doctor visit once a week. The school counsellor’s office is also located in the Health Centre.
13. Eric T. Webster Student Centre
In early 2001, fire destroyed the rec hall, originally built in 1905 as a gymnasium. A new student centre was built later that year on the original granite foundation. It includes the student lounge, offices, classrooms and the tuck shop. It is named after Eric T. Webster, who was chairman of the Board of Trustees from 1964 to 1975.
14. Alumni House
Stanstead College acquired Alumni House in 2007. Built in 1866 as the summer home of Isaac Butters and Mary Pierce Butters, it was originally known as Broadview and then locally simply as Butters House. Today, it houses the Advancement and Communications Office, guest quarters and a faculty apartment.
15. Faculty Housing
Along with our in-residence house directors, a number of teachers live on campus in faculty housing. These duplexes and apartments are located at various points on campus.
16. La Ruche swimming pool (off-campus)
During the Winter Term, the school’s swim team practices daily at Centre Sportif La Ruche in Magog. Construction of this modern facility was completed in 2012 and is one of the finest pools in the Eastern Townships.