In 1870, a group of Wesleyan ministers met in Sherbrooke and agreed to build a college in the Eastern Townships. Stock sold at $25 a share, with the hopes of raising $20,000. Whichever community put up $10,000 would be home to the college.
Dr. and Mrs. A.G. Bugbee of Derby Line donate the residence of Albert Knight, former Stanstead MLA, and have it moved across the field to the College grounds to be used as Bugbee Business College. (Photo Eastern Townships Archives)
The Pierce family donates Sunnyside Castle to be used as a girls residence.
1902-1905: The College Grows
The Eastern Townships Conservatory of Music establishes itself at Stanstead College with the opening of Pierce Memorial Hall.
The Holmes family donates $3000 to build a grade school for local children, known as the Holmes Model School. It opens in 1903 and remains the local school until 1952 when Sunnyside School is built.
1905 – New gymnasium built.
1931: Amaron Era begins
Rev. E.C. Amaron becomes principal, remaining so for 23 years.
1938-40: Fire and Rebuilding
A chimney fire spreads to destroy the main building on Saturday, May 28, 1938. With the help of regional high schools lending material, the scholl was able to finish the academic year.
During the war, the College hosts evacuees from Oldfeld School in Swanage, Dorset.
1946 – Alumni Association donates memorial gates.
Pierce Hall is destroyed by fire.
1958-1959: Time of Change
Faced with declining enrollment, the school closes Bugbee Business School and the Eastern Townships Music Conservatory in 1958. Pierce Hall is rebuilt. Davis House for senior boys and Bugbee House for junior boys open.
1965 – Amaron Gymnasium opens. 1968 – LeBaron Hall opens.
1972-1973: Centennial Celebrations
A year of centennial celebrations includes the opening of the Ralph B. Hood Swimming Pool and a visit by Governor-General Roland Michener.
1977: SC Goes It Alone
In the face of Bill 101, Stanstead College chooses to no longer accept the per-student subsidy from the Quebec government. The resulting independence allows the school to maintain control over its policies, including allowing francophone students to enroll without certificates of eligibility.
1979: The Girls Return
Stanstead College returns to co-ed status.
1991: New Girls Residence
A new residence for senior girls, Webster House opens.
2001: Fire Strikes Again
The Rec Hall is destroyed by fire. Eight months later a new student centre is built and later named the Eric T. Webster Student Centre.
2007-2019: Expanding Campus
2007: The College purchases neighbouring "Broadview," also known as "Butters House," to house its Advancement Department.
2011: After a major fundraising campaign, including government funding announced in person by Prime Minister Stephen Harper, the Pat Burns Arena opens.