1873-1876: Opening and the Church
Construction took place through 1873, and the first classes began in the first week of January 1874. Rev. A. Lee Holmes was the first principal.
The slow sale of shares coupled with the low tuition ($5-$10/term plus $2.75/week for room and board) compelled the stockholders to transfer the property of Stanstead Wesleyan College to the Montreal Conference of the Methodist Church of Canada in December 1876.
In the 1980s, Stanstead College ended its formal relationship with what by then had become the United Church of Canada and is today fully non-denominational.